Accessible Customer Service Plan
The Accessibility Standards Act (“Act”) is new provincial legislation in Ontario that is in place to ensure equal access for persons with disabilities. This Act imposes requirements on CI Financial Corp and its affiliates (the “CI”) and CI’s employees, advisors and contractors, effective January 1, 2012. In particular, the Act sets specific legal standards regarding interaction and communication with customers and/or members of the public who have a disability, whether the disability is visual, audible, verbal, physical, mental, intellectual, or otherwise.
All of the Company’s employees, advisors and contractors must take individual needs into account when providing services to clients and/or interacting with the public. All such personnel must ensure that all persons receive the same value and quality of service regardless of any disabilities. This may involve making accommodations for a person who uses an assistive device, service animal or support person, and in some cases it may mean services are provided from an alternate more accessible location.
Outlined below is an overview of the key elements of CI’s Customer Service Plan.
Providing Goods and Service to People with Disabilities
CI is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, CI will notify customers promptly where appropriate. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternate facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at the applicable location:
- 15 York Street, Toronto, Ontario, 2nd floor – on the doors at the main reception area, or;
- 2 Queen Street East, Toronto Ontario, 20th floor – on the doors at the main reception area,
- 280 King Street, at the main entrance, and
Training for Staff
CI will provide training to:
- All employees, students, volunteers and/or contractors that act on behalf of the Company; and
- Those persons who are involved in the development and approval of policies, practices and procedures.
The training will be provided to all new employees within their first month of employment.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- CI’s plan related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing CI’s goods and services.
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to the plan and advised when updates to the legislation are made.
Customers who wish to provide feedback can:
- Access the Customer Feedback form here.
- Contact the Customer Service Centre at 1-800-792-9355 and speak to a Financial Services representative who will complete the form with you.
- Complete a Customer Feedback form in person at the main reception area at the following locations
- 15 York Street, 2nd floor reception
- 2 Queen Street East, 20th floor reception
All feedback will be directed to Compliance, Regulatory and Policy Matters. Customers can expect a response within 2 business days. Complaints will be addressed according to our regular complaint management procedures.
CI will also provide accessible formats and communication for individuals with disability supports upon request. Please use the above contact information to request accessible formats and communication supports.
Access to documentation
CI’s documents and policies with respect to the Customer Service standard are available upon request using the contact information provided above.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of CI that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified.